As part of its goal to promote current and future clinical and translational research, CICATS has a strong focus on education, training and career development. The Research Education and Training Core works collaboratively with other University programs and with community partners to train investigators and support staff on effective ways to contribute to current and future clinical and translational research.
Our comprehensive plan includes:
An accredited Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Research (MSCTR) program to train academic specialists;
A KL2 program to provide an intensive mentored research experience for promising junior faculty;
A TL1 program to train pre- and post-doctoral students;
Leadership training to develop the necessary skills among the next generation of researchers;
Mentor training to maximize the potential of the mentors for training future researchers;
A graduate medical education research training program to support and improve the research experiences of the next generation of private practitioners, including physicians, dentists and nurse-practitioners; and
A comprehensive plan to increase diversity among our trainees.
Research Education and Training Core Objectives
- Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Research
- Provide interdisciplinary research training in new approaches to the conceptualization, design and performance of clinical and translational research.
- Educate five to seven (5-7) clinical scientists per year as scholars, researchers, educators, leaders and administrators in the field of clinical and translational research.
- Refine and expand the core curriculum in the newly developed and accredited MSCTR by developing two new courses in the approach and methods used in T1 and T2 research to be used as electives.
- KL2 Mentored Research
- Monitor progress of current CICATS funded scholars.
- Recruit four (4) additional promising junior faculty and facilitate their transition to translational research.
- Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Training Program – TL1
- Provide a coordinated, multi-level, inter-disciplinary clinical and translational research doctoral education and postdoctoral training program that will readily adapt to a wide range of student training needs.
- Provide intensive and meaningful research experiences with highly-qualified mentors for pre-doctoral students in the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and Pharmacy, as well as for community partners.
- Provide short-term training and certificate programs in clinical and translational research.
- Leadership Program
- Offer a comprehensive leadership program to all investigators that enhance leadership skills in effective collaboration, negotiation and team development.
- Mentoring Program
- Recruit mentors to work with participants of the K12 and T32 programs who will be completing graduate training programs.
- Develop curricula to train mentors in skills necessary to advise students and further their careers in translational research.
- Assist with mentoring skill development.
- Graduate Medical Education Research Training Program
- Provide a research infrastructure for residents to support clinical and translational research.
- Educate residents, fellows and Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) students in the principles of quality improvement research.
- Work collaboratively with all Graduate Medical Education Programs across six hospital campuses, emphasizing patient safety and quality of care through quality improvement projects.
- Provide web-based, self-directed, customizable training in biostatistics and biomedical informatics in support of the medical residency and Doctorate in Nursing Practice research requirement.
- Enhance Recruitment and Retention of Diverse Trainees, Faculty and Community Researchers in CICATS
- Develop new programs to increase the pipeline of qualified minority applicants to professional schools and doctoral programs.
- Create a Core Interest Group in Health Disparities Research.
Leadership for Research Education & Training
Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Research
KL2 Mentored Career Development Program
Bastian, Lori, M.D., Co-Director
|Email | Website|
Reisine, Susan, Ph.D., Co-Director
|Email | Website|
CICATS KL2 Scholars
TL1 Pre-doctoral and Post-Doctoral Training Program