To provide academic training The Graduate School at UConn Health to individuals dedicated to pursuing the degree of Master of Science (M.S.) in Biomedical Science. To develop the next generation of innovative biomedical scientists and create a sustainable academic pipeline by increasing diversity among the pool of academic scientists. To provide individuals with the opportunity to pursue advanced research projects with clear basic science/clinical applications in a UConn laboratory under the mentorship of a UConn faculty member.
The Master of Science (M.S.) in Biomedical Science is a full-time program for college graduates who are currently enrolled in the Graduate Certificate of Research Experience in Biomedical Science in The Graduate School at UConn Health. Students will hold a graduate assistantship and conduct research in a UConn biomedical research laboratory under the supervision of a mentor who is UConn faculty member. The curriculum will consist of a minimum of 6 credits per semester, including didactic coursework, an intensive laboratory research experience, and completion of a master’s thesis.
All applicants must
- Demonstrate high motivation and potential to become a scientist with a goal of attaining a D., M.D-Ph.D. or Ph.D.
- Successfully complete the requirements for the Graduate Certificate of Research Experience in Biomedical Science at the Graduate School at UConn Health
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 based on the course work for the Graduate Certificate
- Have a developed research plan that will become the basis for a Master Thesis
Applicants must apply for admission to The Graduate School at UConn Health for the degree of Master of Science (MS) in Biomedical Science using the online application through Hobson’s Apply Yourself.
- Complete an online application to UConn Graduate School here.
- Provide digital copies of official transcripts for all collegiate work to date including for the past year reflecting the coursework for the Graduate Certificate of Research Experience. These must be official copies of your transcripts, but they do not need to be uploaded directly from the registrar of the institutions attended. Upload transcripts by following online instructions.
- A letter of recommendation from current research lab mentor.
- Personal statement describing your interest in pursuing a career in the biological and biomedical sciences and/or in medicine in the context of contributions made to medicine from an academic standpoint. (PDF format, 500 word maximum, 8.5 x 11-inch paper with 1 inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman)
- Research essay describing in detail the subject matter for the proposed master’s thesis. Include references as indicated using CSE citations. (PDF format, 500 word maximum (exclusive of citations), 8.5 x 11-inch paper with 1 inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman)
- An interview by the YIIP Selection Committee
When you access the application, please follow the instructions as outlined for the Graduate School Application.
- Under the Enrollment Information do the following:
- For “Admission request” select: Summer 2017
- For “Field of Study” select: Biomedical Science (Health Center) (MS)
- For “Concentration” select: None
- For “Campus of intended registration select: Farmington
- Upload OFFICIAL transcripts as instructed.
- For Letters of Recommendation do the following:
- Click the “Recommendation Provider List” button
- Insert the name and contact information of each recommendation provider
- The recommendation provider must select “Research Experience in Biomedical Science (Grad Certificate)” from the program drop-down list
- Once the recommendation provider information is saved, an email will be sent to the online recommendation provider with an access code and instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation
- When the recommendation provider submits the form to our office it will become a part of your application
- You can view the status of your online recommendations each time you log into your application account, but you will not have access to the recommendation itself
- Upload the two required essays in the Miscellaneous Document Upload section of the online application.
- Deadline to submit an application is May 19, 2017 by 3:00 p.m.
- Personal Interviews will be conducted through May 24, 2017.
- Selections will be announced June 1, 2017.
The Admissions Committee will review only completed applications and support materials received by the deadline of May 19, 2017.
For further information please contact:
Linda Barry, MD
email@example.com or 860-679-6550